Saturday, November 29, 2014

What's on my nightstand...



 
 
 
 
Four and a half days off of work and what do I do but read at every free chance I get. Here are a few of my nighttime reads; Five books, a journal, two New York Times Book Reviews, my Kindle and a pair of reading glasses with an attached don't-lose-me-nerd-chain. There are also a few pens hiding behind the books.
 
I enjoy reading short stories or plays for fun. They are just short little pieces of heaven and if it is good, as these two books are, then I am happy. This week I read Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman and started The Crucible. Miller is one of my favorite playwrights. I just love his flawed characters and the epiphanies that come to each as their human shortcomings are revealed. I could only imagine how wonderful these plays must be like to view on stage. 
 
I found it interesting that the phenomenal actor Daniel-Day Lewis is married to Arthur Miller's daughter Rebecca Miller. And Daniel Day-Lewis's father is former poet-laureate Cecil Day-Lewis. O the great genes of those two! Talk about literary royalty.
 
The second book I am reading is 2013 Nobel-Prize winner in literature, Alice Munro's short-story collection Something I've Been Meaning to Tell you. Munro is such a fabulous writer. Her stories are like droplets of sugar, so comforting and profound it will have you wanting more.
 
 
I am also reading Into Africa by Martin Dugard. This was a recommendation from my boss. I just started it. Cannot say much about it other than Dugard's use of adverbs can be excessive.
 
I also lightly reread Virginia's Woolf's A Room of One's Own. I want to memorize the entire book. It is amazing, completely inspiring for any woman.
 
The fifth is The Wet and Dry by Lawrence Osborne. I like this book but always put it down once I get a new one. It is on my to read list by the end of the year.
 
Lastly, is my journal. I rarely write in it. I keep it nearby incase an idea for a story pops into my head.
 
There you have it. This is what I have done and will continue to do as the holiday continues. Reading is so relaxing.
 
So what is on your nightstand and what will or are you reading this holiday weekend?
 
 
 
~Happy Reading!
Francine
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment