Friday, February 10, 2017

A Russian Journal, aged to perfection

A Russian Journal by John Steinbeck 1948


A Russian Journal by John Steinbeck is gem of a book with pages that smell of heaven. I purchased this book last weekend from, “Friends of the Library” at the Madera County Library “Local Author & Artists Event”.

Written in 1948, Steinbeck stated that the purpose of writing this book was to offer the world, “honest reporting, to set down what we saw and heard without editorial comment, without drawing conclusions about things we didn’t know sufficiently.”

A Russian Journal is such a lovely read, complete with great reporting and wonderful photographs of what life was like for Russians during the Cold War. All the photographs in the book were shot by war photographer Robert Capa.

I am looking forward to finishing the book this weekend. Although, I will not be reviewing this book, this is just a good fun read for me in-between my books for review.  I must say this paperback book is so old, it was published by The Viking Press as a Bantam edition in 1970, its yellow pages are perfectly aged that each time I turn a page; I am permeated with the loveliest of all scents- aged book.

Happy Readings!



Anthem Book Review  

1 comment:

  1. wonderful review for the book "A Russian Journal, aged to perfection". It seems like a nice creation by the writer. I would like to read it soon, for sure.

    ReplyDelete