Wednesday, April 30, 2014

NEXT BOOK REVIEW

When I was 17 I read Truman Capote’s "In Cold Blood". It scared me beyond belief and at the same time I fell in love with that little odd man and his majestic writing. When the brilliant movie Capote was released I watched it immediately and then, fell in love with Phillip Seymour Hoffman. What can I say; I am a book-to-movie-adaptation-whore (total joke).
Anyhow, during this time I was working with a wide-eyed woman named Robin. She and I shared a love of literature and one day while she and her daughter were out shopping, she purchased a book for me. Yes, a Truman Capote book. An old paperback, a yellow stained brittle paged of a book. It smelled of warehouse dust but wore its age wonderfully.
The book is "Music for Chameleons". I had it holed up in my "to read" section of my bookshelf. Well, I am reading it finally. In memory of Robin, not that she has passed, I just no longer work with her, I have placed as my bookmark an old picture she took while at the beach that reads:
"Danger previously dry beach areas can be swept without notice by large waves. Don’t turn your back on the ocean."
The photograph is inscribed on the back, picture taken by Robin in 06’. It is just the most bizarre and lovely photo ever. I am thankful for having known her. I have attached a picture of both the old Capote book and the photo. I think the antiquity of both is marvelous. With that said, I will be reviewing Music for Chameleons throughout the upcoming weeks. The book contains three sections. I will review the first section this weekend and so forth and so forth. I will add on to the first section in the blog post page tab. So if any of you want to review it in its entirety do so in the tab which will be titled Truman Capote book review. 
Lastly, this is my book review and it will be unconventional; as I am unconventional. Art is interpreted differently by all. So you may not like my review. It is okay but I hope you continue reading. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. I respect differences and actually welcome them, without it we would be rigid animals.
Thanks for your time. Thank you Robin for your gift many years ago and I’m finally reading it.
Happy Reading!
~Francine



No comments:

Post a Comment